Sunday 29 June 2014

Say it to yourself, write it down, maybe you'll listen to yourself.

Us women though. So many issues that shouldn't necessarily be there, but they are there. The last few days has got me thinking. I'm a woman but why do we over-think everything? Am I over-thinking what I'm about to say? Maybe. Very possibly. But I shouldn't. I really shouldn't and I definitely shouldn't be worrying. We have countless worries that we carry about our day making our days less fun and more stressful than they should be.

We, not all of us but some of us, sometimes feel the need to feel appreciated, accepted or complimented and validated all the time (can I just say that I don't take compliments well but I'll always say thank you, something I've learnt to just say and get on with now) but others feel the need to have this said to them everyday to make them feel some sense of self, whatever that may be. Where is our self confidence and self assurance? And why do we feel that only when someone else gives us a compliment is when our self-esteem rises? This can be as result of poor confidence and for the purpose of this post, poor body confidence. Not having confidence will affect our relationships.

I was trying to work if through every obstacle me and my family have been through, whether my mother has made it a point for us kids, her children to always be strong and confident in ourselves? I find that strong-minded women have a person in their life who has always told them that they are worth something and that they should not think otherwise. Because of this they ooze self-confidence and self-belief. And yes she has, maybe in not so many words but basically if you're not strong-minded how are you gonna make through the toughest times, the most challenging times? Not being strong minded, or strong willed in all aspects of life can bring insecurities within ourselves and affect our thoughts with that how we see ourselves tends to be at the top of a list of insecurities.

Anyway I've gone off track a bit but my point when I started writing this was to say that some women, including myself, don't have the confidence we should have in our bodies. I see/hear a lot of women complain about their bodies and I always wonder why? Because to me they have great bodies. I love being naked in the comfort of my own room but if I had a significant other, having that confidence would be an issue. Surely they'll like you regardless of what you think your body looks like? I always get compliments for having a good body, you'd think this would help me in my body confidence but no. We just need to remember that the flaws that we see in ourselves are not usually noticed by others, it is all in the way we see ourselves. Why do you think they always say love yourself first? Because you have to in order to then love someone else. Because nobody wants or needs your insecurities thrown in their faces. You shouldn't need that constant reassurance. Be confident. This advice is as much for anyone as it is for me. Trust me.

In the last few days, I have enjoyed just learning to love my body as cliche (not sure this is the right term to use here) as it sounds. And you should do the same to because that's the body you have right now. I won't allow anyone to have to make me feel good about myself anymore, I have to do this myself and when complimented, take it with gratitude, it's just a bonus. What I'm really trying to say is don't strive to have a body like the next big celebrity or whoever you think you want to look like, they are born like that (but with the money celebrities have you can't even be sure anymore) but you are also born with what you have, work with it ladies.




No comments:

Post a Comment