Monday 21 July 2014

St Paul's Carnival 2014!

So (5/7/2014) was that time of the year again, carnival returned to the streets of St Paul's Bristol! Music blaring, heat sweltering, the smell of good food and the atmosphere of a crazy bunch of fun loving people. It was the only place to be on that Saturday. For me it was a great chance to see my friends who I hadn't seen in a while and I enjoyed it...until my feet started to hurt! But it was worth being there. What I always find interesting at St Paul's Carnival is watching what everyone, especially the ladies turn up, TURN UP in. Mostly you will find that most people will incorporate the colours of their country's flags into their choice of outfit...and sometimes lack of it.

I went for a little bit of inspiration from Africa, I am African, more specifically I am proudly Zambian. I remember a while back I asked my mum to buy me some traditional fabric when she visited Zambia. We call this fabric 'chitenge' and so she got me some. The fabric has been packed away for years, as it was only just over a year ago that I found my passion for sewing and making clothes.I'm glad I had the fabric as I'd had a busy week with working full time and then returning to my bartender job the night before fest (the carnival) so hadn't put much thought into what I was gonna wear and honestly I (us girls always say this even when our wardrobes are over-flowing) didn't have anything to wear and didn't have time to get anything. So when I eventually got up on the Saturday afternoon, with plans to meet my friends at 4:30pm and I was in a different city (let alone a country - they were in England, I was in Wales) and tired, I decided to sew together a little ensemble! Talk about timing. Timing...I have none. Anyway I was very successful and was happy with the turn out in the time I had! If you're intrigued in what I do mainly for my hobby check out my instagram: chipfashion

Some fun moments at fest were captured and so was the matching outfit I was wearing #OOTD #chipfashion #summertime #friends #carnival







No comments:

Post a Comment